Connecting Hive to BI tools using a JDBC/ODBC driver
To query, analyze, and visualize data stored within the Hortonworks Data Platform using drivers provided by Hortonworks, you connect Apache Hive to Business Intelligence (BI) tools.
- You chose a Hive authorization model.
- You configured authenticated users for querying Hive through JDBC or ODBC driver by setting value of the hive.server2.enable.doAs configuration property in the hive.site.xml file.
- Locate the JDBC driver or download the ODBC driver.
Depending on the type of driver you obtain, proceed as follows:
- If you want to use an ODBC driver, follow instructions on the ODBC driver download site, and skip the rest of the steps in this procedure.
- If you want to use a JDBC driver, download the driver to the classpath of your JDBC client. In Ambari: Select Services > Hive > Summary > Quick Links > Jdbc Standalone Jar Download.
Copy the JDBC URL for HiveServer: Click the clipboard icon.
In the BI tool, such as Tableau, configure the JDBC connection using the URL and
driver class name,