General requirements for DPS installation
Understanding the requirements and recommendations indicated below can help to avoid common issues during and after DPS installation.
- Be sure to review the DPS Platform Support Matrix to confirm you meet the environment and system requirements, including Docker and networking.
- You need to have root access to the nodes on which all DPS services will be installed.
- Every host name used with DPS must be resolvable by DNS or configured in the
/etc/hosts file on the DPS container, so that host names can be
resolved between all cluster nodes.
Using a DNS server is the recommended method, but if the instances are added to /etc/hosts, you must explicitly register the cluster host names within the DPS Docker containers. It is not sufficient to have the host names included in the /etc/hosts file on the DPS Platform host. See the DPS Platform Administration guide for instructions.
- If you are using AWS, do not use the public DNS to access DPS.
Use a public IP address or set up and use a DNS (Route 53) fully qualified domain name (FQDN).
- Have your enterprise LDAP details available.
See Enterprise LDAP Requirements for more details.
- Determine which DPS Apps you plan to install and which cluster(s) you plan to add to
Be sure to review the App-specific documentation thoroughly to make sure you can meet the App-specific requirements. For example, depending on your choice of Apps, your cluster requirements might change. This includes (but is not limited to) a minimal HDP version, setup and configuration of Knox, and other cluster requirements. See Preparing Your Cluster for more details.
The high-level installation procedure involves two work streams:
|Installing DPS & the DPS Apps||
Install and configure the DPS Platform and your target DPS Apps.
Proceed to the DPS Platform Installation guide.
|Preparing Your Clusters for DPS||
Prepare your clusters, which can include upgrading, adding and configuring Knox, and adding required DPS Agents (per your choice of DPS Apps).
Proceed to General requirements for clusters.