Use spot instances
The "Use Spot Instances" option, available for each host group, allows you to use spot instances for all VMs on a given host group.
This is available for each host group on the Hardware and Storage page of the create cluster wizard. To use this option:
- In create cluster wizard, navigate to the Hardware and Storage page.
- For each host group, check the Use Spot Instances option option to use EC2 spot instances as your cluster nodes. Next, enter your bid price. The price that is pre-loaded in the form is the current on-demand price for your chosen EC2 instance type.
- We recommend not using spot instances for any host group that includes Ambari server components.
- If you choose to use spot instances for a given host group when creating your cluster, any nodes that you add to that host group (during cluster creation or later) will be using spot instances. Any additional nodes will be requested at the same bid price that you entered when creating a cluster.
- If you decide not to use spot instances when creating your cluster, any nodes that you add to your host group (during cluster creation or later) will be using standard on-demand instances.
- Once someone outbids you, the spot instances are taken away, removing the nodes from the cluster.
- If spot instances are not available right away, creating a cluster will take longer than usual.
After creating a cluster, you can view your spot instance requests, including bid price, on the EC2 dashboard under INSTANCES > Spot Requests. For more information about spot instances, refer to AWS documentation.