Preparations for tuning performance
Before you tune Apache Hive, you should follow best practices. These guidelines include how you configure the cluster, store data, and write queries.
- Set up your cluster to use Apache Tez or the Hive on Tez execution engine.
In HDP 3.0 and later, the MapReduce execution engine is replaced by Tez.
- Disable user impersonation by setting
Run as end userto false in Ambari or by setting
LLAP caches data for multiple queries and this capability does not support user impersonation.
- Add the Ranger security service to your cluster and dependent services.
- Activate and configure LLAP if you want to run interactive queries.
- Store data using the ORCFile format.
- Ensure that queries are fully vectorized by examining explain plans.
- Use the SmartSense tool to detect common system misconfigurations.